Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Life With Cancer, Kids, And Crayons

I'm sure you're wondering just what cancer, kids, and crayons could all possibly have in common. Well over the years I've found that all three can be very messy, they all meltdown at some point, they are all quite colorful, and all three can help you "draw" a very personal picture of something wonderful that you never knew existed.

As a mother living with cancer I've decided to focus on the funny, bright, and happy things in my life rather than the bad. Before the cancer, I used to be one of those people who always wanted more, needed to be more, and thought I was less. These days though I can honestly say that you never realize just how many wonderful things there are out there until you think you are going to lose them. Cancer has made me thankful for everything I do have and care less about what I don't.

My kids are, of course, my greatest gifts. They make every day not only worth living but worth living better. I now try to live my life as an example for them so they too will be able to be strong as they face their own battles with cancer. I want them to be able to face life in a positive way and know that everything really is alright.

So the cancer I will consider as renting space in my body (and I refuse to get an eviction notice before it does!), the kids I will continue to cherish more each day, and the crayons I am going to use hopefully to draw a good picture for my 3-year-old. He tells me the one I drew yesterday looked more like a turtle than a T-Rex and that just will not do. Who taught him to be such a critic anyway?

Truly live each day like it's your last. Enjoy it, fill it with love, let your heart be known, and don't forget to dance whether anyone is looking or not. ;)

1 comments:

Amanda said...

It's been a few weeks since you wrote this but it is a timeless entry. So many people should live by your words. This entry touched me and was writen on my birthday. I will take these words and apply them.
My daughter drew with crayon on the back of my front door today. I think I'll leave it up there till tomorrow.

I'm from 20ish if you wondered.

Thanks and I hope you have a feel good day.