Sunday, August 12, 2007

"Nature Always Finds A Way"

I think that is one of my favorite Jurassic Park quotes. Well that and "God creates dinosaurs. God destroys dinosaurs. God creates man. Man destroys God. Man creates dinosaurs... Dinosaurs eat man. Woman inherits the earth...". Priceless!! lol.

Recently my family and I were given the opportunity to play with and give our opinion on the new Jurassic Park Explorer DVD game from Brighter Minds Media, LLC and I can honestly say it was one of the funnest games we've played in a very long time!

This game is coming out mid-August (any day now) and is a dinosaur and Jurassic Park lover's dream come true! Jurassic Park Exploror DVD game is designed for players aged 6 and up with a choice of up to four teams or individuals playing it. Each player or team can choose from three levels of difficulty, in what sequence they want to take their turns, and as a whole you can choose to play a long or short game.

The idea of the game is that you are on the island of Isla Sorna where the Jurassic theme park is located. Your job is to try to help the scientists there collect DNA to bring the dinosaurs back to life. There are seven different sections/games that you have to answer questions or complete games of skill on.

The best part? The game is on a DVD that you watch and you use your remote control to give your answers. The graphics on this DVD are awesome! No matter what level you play there is always something new and exciting to see.

The way the game works is you have a board, a die, four game pieces, and 25 dinosaur cards. You set up your difficulty level, number of players, and length of game on the DVD then the first person rolls the die. Each player takes a turn rolling the die, moving their game piece, and whatever area they land on that is where they must do their challenge. For each correct answer you get you are given a dinosaur card. The first person with five or seven cards (depending on the game length you choose) is the winner.

I would say that their age range is pretty appropriate and at first I was worried that my 4 1/2 year old would be broken hearted because he couldn't play. All I can say is if you have a little dinosaur fanatic like I do that is younger than six then give them a chance to play too. My youngest son is obsessed with dinosaurs and made us all eat crow when he played. To be honest, he kicked our butts three out of five times one night and we weren't even letting him win!! The kid knew the name of every single dinosaur and there were some pretty hard ones.

Our favorite parts were the Screening Room where you had to basically stare at the scene so you didn't miss anything, the Bone Dig where you uncover fossil bones, and the Plains where we tried to beat each other to name the dino in the fog first. The hardest area for all of us was the Chasm because if you don't jump just right... well, you want to make sure you jump right trust me.

I have already recommended this game to several people because it really is a great game for those who like dinosaurs. The only worry I have about the game is that the DVD is going to give out on us from playing so much. As I said, my 4 1/2 year old is obsessed and there isn't a night that goes by that he isn't begging to play the game.

So please check out not only the Jurassic Park Explorer DVD Game but also the tons of other games on Brighter Minds. They have been a favorite of our family for awhile now which made this even more fun.

*The only thing even remotely close to compensation that I received for this review was being allowed to keep the game. I think I made out pretty good!*

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice review, Jo! My oldest is a 4-year-old so I may have to wait another year or so cause I have a feeling he'd be a little frightened of the dinosaurs. He likes reading about them but isn't obsessed with them yet, so I'll probably wait a little bit. But yeah, DVD games can actually be a lot of fun. Both my kids LOVE the DVD Hullabaloo game by Cranium, where you basically just hop around to different animal pictures, while watching live animals on the TV. Keep the reviews coming!

Anonymous said...

Ohhh, my liitle dino-fanatic might whoop my butt in that game. LOL

Anonymous said...

Andrew- if he frightens easily then yeah, I'd wait. lol. Thank you for the compliment. You don't know how many times I wrote and rewrote this review wanting it to be right! *snort*

Summer- he probably would! It's quite humbling too. lmao

Jenny said...

Neat...sounds like one we'd like. We've just declared Thursday nights, game and movie night!

David said...

My brother was so scared when we went to see that movie! My mom and I could only coax him from under the seat by telling him no kids got killed (we had read the book). He was going to stay under there singing "The 50 States that Rhyme" otherwise!